All,

I've been off Shoptalk for a while now due to a job related relocation, but am hopefully successfully re-subscribed now.  Anyway, I have a question for everyone about custom clubmaking and fitting.  In general, which level of golfer do you feel gets the most benefit from custom clubs (i.e. greatest improvement in handicap)?  In my opinion, it is probably the mid-handicap player (10-20 HCP).  My reasoning is that the really high handicapper has too much inconsistency in their swing, and therefore not enough reproducibility, to allow accurate fitting.  My approach with this type of customer is to build them a matched set of clubs (club to club), based on mostly static measurements for length, lie, etc... and with shaft flex based mainly on swing speed, and then recommending a good teaching pro.

The low handicapper definitely needs fitted clubs, but for many low handicappers I have dealt with, confidence in their clubs is the most important thing for them.  I have seen quite a few very good golfers playing with clubs that are not that well matched, but are very reluctant to change their clubs because they have a lot of good rounds in the books with the clubs.

The middle handicapper is the easiest golfer for me to work with for several reasons.  First, they have or are close to having a pretty reproducible swing, so there is a much better chance to fit the clubs properly for loft, lie, shaft flex, etc...  Also, these are usually players that want to improve, and are willing to spend some time and money to get better at the game.  Many times, they are also starting to realize on their own that their current clubs may not be the best match for their game.  This group also seems to be the most willing to learn a little about proper fitting, and to consider custom fit clubs.  Lastly, this group has the best potential to improve their game by the most strokes with properly fit clubs and practice.  I would be interested in your experience with various customers.

Tedd

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.