Jents,
With no data to suppport my hypothesis, I think the answer is imbedded in Bernie's response.  "Am driving the ball like I was 30 again. . . When I stop blading simple chip shots and the putter swing stops wobbling, I'll be as good as I ever was." The advances in technology and course maintenance help many of us, but scoring occurs with our approach shots and putter.  Technology may allow us to approach with  different club, but it is still skill in the short game that lowers the score and handicap.  So basically the average golfer has not improved his short games skills over the years and the result is no significant change in average handicap in spite of improved technology and course maintenance.
Just my 2 cents,
Moe