Chris

I have FitChip Prescription shafts that will frequency in Irons to as low as 200 CPM amd woods to as low as 170 CPM. these shafts are made for me, to my specifications, by Rapport.

llhack

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 6/11/2004 11:13:12 PM
Subject: ShopTalk: Ping TFC100 shaft

A 67 year-old golfing buddy just purchased a new set of Ping G2 irons with TFC100 "Soft Regular" graphite shafts.  He used to hit his 5-iron about 170 yards and has found these new irons to be quite a bit longer.  For example he eagled a long par 4 yesterday from 220 yards with his new 4-iron.

I took one of his irons and waggled it and was amazed at how flexible the shaft was.  Today I took his 5-iron and had a good look at it.  I popped the grip off and the 37.75" club freq'd at 226 cpm with a 5" clamp length!  I then noticed how small a diameter the shaft was for the most part.  I took measurements from the top of the hosel every 2" up the shaft and found that the shaft actually reduced in size to .358" at a point about 8" above the hosel.  It then gradually increased in diameter (very slowly) until the last 5" under the grip where it seemed to be parallel at about .597".

I'm surprised at how flexible these shafts are and more surprised at how good they feel to swing and hit.  I should mention that I'm a fan of weenie flex shafts and I'd like to find something that might come close to replicating this shaft.  Any ideas?  I'm already experimenting with shimming some wood shafts into an iron head and seeing if that might help to drop the flex to that degree.

Chris Burns