Try this site for XP streamlining. Works for me.

http://www.blackviper.com/

Good luck!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Ed Gurganus
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 11:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ShopTalk: For TFLan's sake: WAS Re:, Now XP SP2

I initially had the same slowdown as Mark and Andy, but I had read somewhere
that XP "optimizes" start-up programs and programs you use regularly as part
of it prefetch processes.  It only optimizes these files every 3 days.  So I
gave it a few days and sure enough startup got back to a normal, acceptable
speed.  There's a way to force optimization right away, but I've seem to
misplaced my link to the instructions.

One other pet peeve of mine is that so many software companies have such a
high opinion of their products that they want to automatically start it for
you and put it in the system tray.  This slows down startup and wastes
memory.  I use a good little free utility called StartupManager to turn off
(and back on if needed) this automatically starting programs.  You can do a
similar thing with the Windows msconfig utility, but StartManager keeps
track of what you've turned off and allows you to turn it back on.  You can
get StartManager at http://f2.org/archive/software/startupmgr.html.

Ed