I thought that roll was supposed to do kind of the same thing as
bulge, as it pertains to "gear effect", but around a different axis.
That being, shots hit low on the clubface would get more backspin,
while shots high on the clubface would get less. Therefore, some roll
was added so that shots off the bottom start lower, and climb higher,
while shots off the top start higher, but climb lower.

If I read you correctly Tom, what you are saying is that I have drawn
an erroneous conclusion (it sure wouldn't be the first time)? I
suppose the shaft prevents the club head from pivoting around its own
CG? I would have guessed that the flexibility of the shaft would have
allowed some movement.

Scott
--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Tom Wishon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David:
>
> About 6-7 yrs back when I started to move the roll radius to be a 4"

..

> year for a Golf Digest project they had asked me to assist in.  One of
> the heads was a GBB2 all ti driver that I measured as a perfectly made
> 9" roll radius.  Two things hit me when I measured that head - one, that

..