-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Alan Brooks
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 11:19 AM
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: RE: ShopTalk: Re: [SpinetalkersForum] Single length irons

Hi Tedd,

Dave's right about Max's program, the input variables are head speed, head
mass, and loft (along with some global parameters such as coefficient of
restitution, spin coefficient, etc.).  Club length is not an input.  After
my last post I played around with lower loft values and got the same sort
of numbers and distances that Dave did for the constant length clubs.

Why is it that you think we need to apply the concept separately for woods
and irons?  I have had this same conversation on Wishon's forum over MOI
matching.  If we are trying to make a 'set' of clubs easier to get
repeatable results from, shouldn't they all be matched?  I suspect if we
play around with the numbers a bit we can design a constant length set of
clubs that will get 200-yards on one end and 100-yards on the other.  A lot
of the guys I play with would be thrilled if they could get 200-yards down
the middle consistently.  I would design the set with hybrids for the low
lofted irons (to take advantage of the forgiveness properties of hollow
heads) progressing to a cavity back for the high lofted irons.  They would
be comparable to a progressive length set from PW to 5-wood, which is what
most high handicappers should be playing with anyway.  Of course, then they
might become mid-handicappers and want more Pro-like clubs.  This could be
a godsend for the occasional golfer.

I just went back into Max's program and ran 240-g head weight at 85-mph and
got 202-yards for an 18* loft and 98-yards for 50* loft.  I believe there
is a lot of room for tweaking here.

Regards,

Alan Brooks

At 08:21 AM 1/5/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Alan,
>
>I think that the concept for single length would apply separately for irons
>and woods.  Can you re-run the numbers using say a 42" club length for
woods
>with a 100 MPH swingspeed (I guess head weight would be around 220 grams).
>I think the target weight is closer to 266 grams for these heads, with the
>length at 36.6-37.5", depending on the golfer and the shaft used.  Can
Max's
>program predict how much difference in swingspeed and/or distance one would
>get between a 38" club with a 253g head and a 37" club with a 266g head,
>assuming the same loft?
>
>Tedd

Stobbs