From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bernie Baymiller
Sent: Tuesday, 25 January 2005 10:47 PM
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Powerbilt TPS .395 steel shafts

Graham,

Sounds like me when I was 60...same kind of swing, about the same speed with a 5-iron and facing same problem. At that time, 11 years ago, I started experimenting with longer and lighter clubs. Seven years ago, when I was 63, I built me a set of Chicago 944Cs with Apache PM-30i graphites at 82 grams. They were frequency matched at 283 cpm raw (an R1, I think) and played like 2x4s. A friend of mine, who hit the ball the same distance that I did, had gained 15 yards by switching to clubs with the Apache PM-30i shafts. So I figured I had the wrong frequency, too stiff, and ordered a set at 275 cpm raw (A2). Rebuilt the set 1" longer than standard steel (39" 5-iron), bent the heads 2° flat and gained at least 10 yards. They were perfect for me at that time and are still my "go-to" set when I'm not hitting my slightly softer set very well. Had seven rounds under par with them in 1999, including the only round in my life that I've hit every fairway and every green in regulation. Think these are now the MFS 30+, at least they seem close to the original specs. You might give those shafts a look, or try a shaft about 275 cpm raw frequency at 40" length and a torque about 3.0

Bernie