DAVE et al:

I can add a little to this.

First of all, you are right about Scott Verplank's asking price going up
and being the main reason that GS was not able to re-sign him.  It was
not sky high considering he had become a Top 20 money winner at the time
and a Top 30 Sony ranking player but it was more than what the decision
makers wanted to pay him.  However, he is currently on contract with
Taylor Made and signed that deal the year after he left the GS contract
- he just makes a little more from splitting the bag contract away from
the hat contract.  And for Taylor Made that was a way to save some money
in signing him to play their clubs and carry the bag.

These days on the tour, the top players can command as much or more from
the hat contract as they can from the bag and clubs.  The reason is
obvious.  The name on the hat is seen on TV far more than the name on
the bag or the clubs.  And as you have seen, even the caddies have been
able to make a little money from hat contracts themselves because they
too are often seen on TV when they are close to their player.

On club contracts, most of the companies today have a minimum number of
their branded clubs that the player has to use.  Minimum on that is 8
clubs, but there are a few who will insist on 12.  In addition, for the
past 5-6 years there has been a weekly payout by the larger companies
for pros to carry their driver, which as you know is a "glamour club" in
the bag and on the weekly Darrell Survey count.  So it is common
knowledge on the tour that if you are not in the Top 50 but on the tour
playing regularly, you can make anywhere from an extra $1000/week to
$2000/week if all you do is stick one of these companies' drivers in
your bag just for the one day that the Darrel Survey people do their
count - usually Friday of any weekly tournament.  It is well known on
tour that there are players out there who want the extra money who will
drop some long iron from the bag on Fridays to add in the driver for the
money but keep their favorite driver in the bag to play with.

If you happen to be a new company with a new model that you hire a tour
rep to push on tour, if a player hits your club and likes it, the next
question will always be "how much will you pay me to play/carry this
club".  So as a small company if you are not ready to fork over some
real cash on a weekly basis, your club won't get used.  Yes, every once
in a while there might be a pro who likes a new club so much that he
will play it with no payout, but this is far more rare these days on
tour than it was even 5-10 yrs ago.  The trick is to get your club(s)
out there - about the only way for a new/small company to do that is to
pay one of the independent tour sales reps to do that.  And since these
guys know that they are a limited commodity out there, they ask for
anywhere from $50K to $100K to do that.  And if you fork over the cash
for that representation, you do it with the knowledge that each one of
these independents has somewhere between 4 and 8 lines/companies that
they are handling.  Thus how much time your line/models get in the short
time that these guys can talk the talk to the players on the practice
range is very little.

And what's more, you have to realize how little the tour reps know about
equipment.  What they all have in common is that they are salesmen who
have the gift of gab to be able to get time with any of the pros on the
practice range.  So if a pro hits one of your clubs and the shaft,
length, swingweight/MOI, face angle, loft, etc happen to not be
perfectly matched to that pro, the pro will likely hit it 3-4 times,
tell the rep that this is not any good and then the rep starts to think
that because this club is new or from a company with no reputation on
the tour, it must be a bad club.  Thus he stops promoting it to players
because he does not want to get a reputation among the pros for "passing
out bad clubs".

So it's real tough out there on tour to promote and land a new model
with all of this going.  The public unfortunately has no idea about all
that goes on out there in this area of "paid to play".

TOM