I always thought the rules were for USGA tournaments and establishing indexes to be used in those tournaments. If you're playing for fun, can't you use any rules you want? Including any equipment you want? Limited, of course, by any local rules (such as no air cannons off the tee). I work at a local course occasionally and we don't care what rules you play casual rounds with, as long as you aren't tearing up the course (or risking tearing up the course) and are maintaining your pace of play.

Regards,

Alan Brooks

At 09:22 AM 10/11/2005 -0400, you wrote:
Dave,

> Thanks, Ed. The exact quote carries a considerably different connotation,
> to me at least. It means they aren't even more screwed up than I
originally
> thought. Rather, they are EXACTLY as screwed up as I originally thought.
> Remember, I originally posted that they assumed the rules were only for
> private courses. In this interview, Fay is admitting it. He doesn't say HE
> breaks the rule, just that the rules can't be followed on a public course.
> (You can bet HE never plays public courses.)

Totally agree. And, you could probably change your wording  from "private"
courses to "exclusive" courses. Our courses here are private courses and our
rangers wouldn't put up with reteeing a ball if the group was already
holding up play for the groups behind them.

With the unusual and extended hot weather we've had here this summer, our
Bermuda rough has become a jungle. We had the Tennessee Senior Amateur here
at Toqua about a month ago, so the greens super narrowed the fairways and
let the Bermuda grow up to about 3-4" tall the month before the
tournament...and the first cut was only a few yards wide. Hit a drive in the
rough and you couldn't find the ball. Unlike stiffer grasses, our Bermuda
allows the ball to sink to the ground, so there was a lot of slow play
looking for balls just off the fairway. Then, it takes a SW to even get out
of it. We started having 5-hour rounds. Most of our groups simply made our
own rule for lost balls...drop one in the area with a stroke penalty and
play. Now, the fairways are back to normal width, roughs have been shortened
about half way, balls aren't so difficult to find and play is much faster.
Still can't get out of the darned wiry stuff...even at 2-3" depth. I'm
always glad when our first frost kills it. Bermuda rough finally becomes
somewhat playable when it's brown and dry.

Bernie
Write to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]