At 07:28 AM 10/26/2006, André Cantin wrote:
Tom. Please take a look at the following link:
http://www.fitchip.com/fitchip4club.htm
I always believed that the shaft reacted just the opposite from the pics above the graph. Your take please.

I'm not Tom, but I agree pretty much with Tom's take earlier. The FitChip is based on an incorrect model of shaft bending during the swing. If you want more detail on what I think of the FitChip model, see
        http://www.tutelman.com/golfclubs/misc/FitChipRvu.html

BTW, I don't agree with your take on the pictures -- at least not if you mean that literally. That would mean that a too-stiff shaft would be bent back. My opinion (and Tom's if I read his previous answer right) is:

* A swing that will bend a shaft forward will bend it forward pretty much independent of the stiffness. It will just bend forward MORE with a more flexible shaft.

* A swing that will leave a shaft straight (early release) will leave the shaft more or less straight independent of the stiffness. Well, a much-too-flexible shaft might bend forward a little, depending on glitches in the swing.

* A swing that will bend a shaft back is pretty rare. I have so little experience with it that I don't have any idea what shaft stiffness will do for it. But it's a sufficiently pathological swing that shaft fitting isn't the solution. :-)

Cheers!
DaveT