At 03:53 PM 3/19/2007, Ed Reeder wrote:
My candidate for the ugliest driver currently on the market, the Hippo Hex
http://tinyurl.com/3b62t5

Truly bizarre!

Don't you just love the law of unintended consequences.

And the USGA is getting exactly what it deserves. They are trying to affect the LOOK of the game instead of protecting its basic integrity -- which is their REAL job, the one they have been scared out of doing by Callaway's lawyers.

They have thrown together a number of rules in the last few years that they INTENDED to keep drivers looking "traditional". Their fear was the "turtle on a stick". So they limited the volume, and then added limit to the height and heel-toe size. And, of course, a long-standing rule that face-back cannot exceed heel-toe implicitly limited face-back. The result is a rectangular box that the driver head must fit inside.

Well, the designer's goal is not maximum volume; it is maximum MOI. The volume just got that way because a maximum-MOI design is one where the mass is farthest away from the center of gravity.

So what happens when you design a maximum-MOI shape given a constraint of a rectangular box that it must fit within? A RECTANGULAR DESIGN, of course.

I don't know how you could make anything LESS traditional looking. As I said, the USGA got what it deserved.

Cheers!
DaveT