At 09:20 PM 8/7/2007, Tom wrote:
I'd guess I've played in just about every format over the past 50+ years, gross to better ball net, and all the variations thereof. I prefer gross within handicap groups - that is players no more than a stroke or so apart. Gross is so much easier and baggers aren't so much of a problem.

Every year at RSG-Ohio, the Saturday afternoon round is twosome match play, no strokes but somewhat "flighted". It's Ohio vs The Rest Of The World, which works because there's roughly as many locals as out-of-staters. (Sometimes they have to designate an honorary Ohioan. No comments about whether that's an honor.) So it's Ryder Cup Sunday format, with each match worth a point.

When this event started, the Ohio and World rosters would each line up according to handicap, and that defined the matches. Today, a dozen years later, it tends to be more of an "I challenge... I accept" sort of thing. Some of the matches have become traditional, and some form based on trash talk (trash email) leading up to the event. Others, perhaps most, come from a look at the handicap list. But it still tends to be fairly evenly matched handicaps, because the challenge-accept model almost guarantees that will happen.

I said match play. I meant Match Play Madness (TM), the brainchild of David "Thor" Collard. Thor wanted a game that was closer to what he imagines golf was like at the very beginning, before there was a rule to assure equitability and skill (as opposed to luck). The rules are very simple:
(1) Play the ball as it lies.
(2) Play the course as you find it.

Similarly, the decisions are very simple:
"No, you can't."

A more detailed description is at http://users.zoominternet.net/%7Etutelman2/MatchPlayMadness.html

You'd be amazed how different this is. For instance, this is the only golf game I know where you'll hear, "Not only is his ball in the parking lot, he's got a BAD LIE in the parking lot." (Yes, I did hear that in 2007; you can see pictures at http://users.zoominternet.net/~tutelman2/Ohio06.html)

If you're intrigued by some of the games that come out of this rule simplification, you can see more anecdotes and pictures (even a few videos) at http://users.zoominternet.net/~tutelman2/Ohio05.html Be sure to look at the "swamp thing" anecdote, with pix and video. http://users.zoominternet.net/~tutelman2/Ohio06.html More here besides the bad lie in the parking lot.

Enjoy!
DaveT