At a charity touneyment I played at, they had us ditch our putters and
use a brick glued to a shaft.  It actually doesn't work that well. :)

Brian Parkinson

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of TOM FLANAGAN
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:20 PM
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: RE: ShopTalk: Putters, etc.

Thanks for the reasoned discourse. I'm one of the
zillions who took the advanced clubmaker's course at
GS way too many years ago to remember. One thing I do
recall though is that we didn't spend a lot of time
talking about putters. I had been a clubmaker for a
lot of years before I went to Austin (the course was a
birthday gift . . . a vacation sort of). It was a good
week and well worth the effort.

I mentioned I've been playing the same putter pretty
constantly since about '67 - a Ping Z Blade. I won
some scrip in a tournament and had to spend it at the
golf shop. I picked up the Z Blade, went to the
practice green, dropped a ball about 30 feet from the
hole and canned it. I bought the putter after that one
putt.

I've changed the length several times - started with a
2" plug and then cut it down about a 1/4" at a time.
It's now about 35 1/2" long and it works. I never
added weight or tried to bend the single curve shaft.
The one constant over the years has been the grip.

It's a paddle style Tacki-Mac that isn't made any
longer. I have 3 of them and guard them carefully. I
have tried just about every other putter on the
market, but the first thing I did was pop the grips
and slip on one of my Tacki-Macs. Aside from a 2-Ball
"blade" I acquired, not one putter has done as well
for me as has the Z-Blade. Putting is, I think, 99%
mental, 1% physical. I believe the Ping will make
putts. I don't believe those branding irons will.

Putting is such a purely personal part of the game
that I think, and I've said often, if a guy believes
it, he can putt with a sidewalk brick on the end of a
stick. On the other hand, some guys just suck at
putting no matter what the implement.

TFlan