TFLAN

I don't think anyone has any type of statistics on that.  In addition, there
are so many variables that enter into this.  In areas where a clubmaker has a
reputation, has awareness among the golfing community, then it would be fair to
say a higher percentage of the areas' repair work could be going direct to the
clubmaker and not through the pro shops.  But in areas where there is no real
awareness of a clubmaker, then the percentage would have to swing over to the
pro shop.  Common sense says that most golfers know nothing about having work
done on their clubs - only the more serious, lower handicap players become
aware of having work done on their clubs, and typically these people are in the
minority in terms of the total population of golfers who play with some sense
of frequency.  So that means the places the golfers go to play are the places
where the golfer would ask or be told that they need work on their clubs, and
that likely would be the pro shops and driving ranges.

WAY back when I got started and this was the primary area of club related
revenue for a clubmaker, I got my pro shop wholesale repair accounts going by
making appointments with the pros, taking examples of my work and doing the
best quality pitch job to them I could to be able to get their repair work on a
PICK UP AND DELIVERY BASIS so things for the pro shop were easy and painless.
How much biz you get depends on the quality of your pitch and the respect you
can get from the pros.

My gut feel says that today, most pro shops and retail golf stores HATE to
hassle with repairs and make no effort to promote it, doing it only when the
golfer comes to them with something that has to be done or else the club is not
playable.  They're lazy - they see the repair thing as being too little in
revenue to hassle with, too much to have to keep track of with clubs going out
and coming back in for the money they would make.  So while that certainly
makes an optimist see this as the glass of water that is half full for good
potential, it also means you have to be very compelling in your pitch to make
them see that it would be worth their while and as hassle free as possible for
them to decide to partner with a good clubmaker to offer this service to their
golfers.

TOM