From: Jen Kuntz <j...@gtagolfers.com>
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Handicap
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Date: Thursday, August 6, 2009, 6:57 AM

I haven't posted in years but this thread has held my interest.
I've never belonged to a private club, I've been a public player with a
handicap for about 15 years.  I think overall the handicap system is fairly
effective, and like most things its the bad apples spoiling the lot for the
majority of us that know and play by the rules.

The weakness of the handicap system is not the way a club/course is set up
(tees forward/back etc.) but it's mostly human issues.  I think Don's post hits
one major problem on the head.  A little education would go a long way,
particularly around the equitable stroke control.  I would like to see the
systems force people to post hole by hole scores since the system could then
calculate ESC by itself.  People could still cheat of course but at least even
inflating their scores the ESC score would still be the basis for handicap.

I would love to see more basic education available to players - basic or common
rules that are often misunderstood and how to adjust your score to post it.
I play with a lot of friends, none of whom have a handicap nor do they want
one.  I don't play anyone for money unless I've seen them play before to know
their ability (and truthfulness on the course).  I also ignore my friends when
they tell me how they just broke 80, 90 or whatever, when I know they play
mulligans at will and don't know how to deal with lost balls & hazards properly!

Jen