        From: owner-shopt...@mail.msen.com
[mailto:owner-shopt...@mail.msen.com] On Behalf Of Ed Reeder
        Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:22 PM
        To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
        Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Statement by Ping Chairman John Solheim

        It was "reported" that Phil did this in response to the USGA
disallowing a new Callaway wedge design that, while conforming to the
new rules, spun more than the USGA desired.   It was said that Phil
wanted to "rub their noses" in the rules.

        I put "reported" in quotes because you never know how factual
anything you see in print is.  I'm curious if anyone really knows if
this Callaway incident is true.  From what I've heard, it didn't happen
- at least the way it was reported.  This would imply that the USGA also
has a spin-rate test.

        TWGT's pre-groove-rule micro-groove wedges, which provide more
spin than the old U-grooves, were approved by the USGA.  This implies
that a spin-rate test doesn't exist.

        /Ed

        On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 08:19 -0800, "Bob Barrette"