ShopTalkers
Several of us in the industry had tried to lobby the USGA in the past 2 years
to do what Rory McIroy just said in a press conference yesterday at the Dubai
Desert Classic.  As you all know, if you took a poll among tour players in the
past as to whether they would be in favor of longer rough or tougher greens,
few if any would agree.  I find this very interesting that a highly ranked tour
player, and I am sure he is not alone in this, is now forming the opinion that
this new groove rule is so bad that they would rather have longer rough and
firmer greens as a means for leveling the playing field between the straight
hitters and the bomb and gouge players.
TOM

McIlroy wants rule changes to be reconsidered
By Associated Press

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Rory McIlroy has called upon the world's golf
authorities to reconsider their controversial new regulations on the shape of
grooves in the heads of golf clubs.

Both the USGA and The Royal & Ancient in January introduced new rules designed
to prevent tour professionals imparting excessive spin on golf balls when
playing out of long rough grass.

The measures have been greeted with a mixed reaction and confusion on both the
PGA and European Tours.

And in America Phil Mickleson has found a way around the ban on "U"-shaped
grooves by playing with a 20-year-old Ping wedge that in 1993 was the subject
of an unreversable Supreme Court ruling that it was approved for play.

McIlroy, who currently stands ninth in the world rankings, believes there are
other ways to make golf more difficult for professionals rather than tampering
with club design.

"I think they are trying to bring the whole professional game and the Amateur
game closer together," said the 20-year-old Northern Irish golfer in Dubai as
he prepared for Thursday's start of the Desert Classic which he won last year.

"I don't see why they don't firm greens up and get the rough longer to bring
scores down," said McIlroy. "They can make golf courses a lot tougher and turn
20-under winning scores into 12- under."

McIlroy did, however, add that he feared making scoring harder at professional
tournaments could cause golf to lose spectator appeal.

"When I turn on the TV and I am watching a tournament I don't like to see guys
struggling for pars all the time. I think people like to see birdies as well. I
like to see birdies and people hitting the ball close to flags."