From: vectorgo...@aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 1:03 AM
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Traverse Hi-COR + Eagle + Hole-In-One + sub 50 clamping
pressure

Snip;
Greetings,
One thing all of you guys need to be mindful of on the sub 50 shafts is your
clamping pressure when installing the grips.

Not just us "Pro's" who do the work, but also you consumers who are making a
purchase on one of these need to make sure your club maker is aware, because
many are not.

They are extremely thin walled and though you may not hear or feel it crack,
you may very well have created a hair line crack in the grip clamp which can
migrate up or down the shaft and cause it to break on the 1st swing or the
200th swing.

I have a pneumatic clamp with a foot pedal and I usually run about 40 psi for
steel or graphite.
If I'm doing heavy production on steel I will turn it up to about 60 psi so I
don't have to worry about slippage, but any time I have a sub 50 graphite I
turn it down to about 20 psi and ease on the foot pedal.
That's 1/2 my normal clamping pressure and applied carefully!

You want just the bare minimum pressure to not have the shaft slip.
You almost want it to slip and need to have a co worker hold the head, but not
quite.

If your rubber clamp is a bit slick because some gripping solvent has found
it's way on to it (maybe from the last time you removed a grip with a needle)
then wipe down your clamp with some acetone so it has maximum tack.

I learned this the hard way, I use a lot of the Fierce Full Force shafts which
are 49 grams, and I would say of the 1st 20 I built with my normal 40 psi about
1/2 of them broke, since I've backed off the clamping pressure I haven't had
any break except in cases of them falling off a cart or getting slammed in a
trunk or some other crazy thing that is beyond anticipation.

Of course there will always be the player that his off mats and bangs it off
the mat behind the ball, this will result in breakage just above the hosel with
any weight shaft and should not be warranted any more than wrapping it around a
tree should be.
But!! if hitting fat off mats results in breakage say in the middle of the
shaft, that got started with your clamping pressure.

If you use a vise you can just not tighten it as much, if you have one of those
clamps that are a 1/4 turn handle (either clamped or not) I'm not sure what you
would do as I don't know if those are adjustable in any way.
If they are not adjustable to lower the clamping pressure, I suppose you could
do that by clamping the shaft closer to the tip where the shaft diameter
lessens to provide a less snug fit.

Also if your ferrule is overly snug, rather than pounding it on, warm it some
first, then ease it on.
David

In a message dated 8/25/2011 7:24:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,