Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 05:07:47AM -0800, Vieri Di Paola wrote:
>> I was wondering if there's a way to include multiple
>> DSL lines on a single physical interface.
>
> I think you can do this with PPPoE-forwarding modems (no PPP
> termination on the modem at all - *just* a modem which copies the
> PPPoE packets to and from the ethernet interface), and rp-pppoe on the
> firewall - so you get ppp0, ppp1, ... interfaces on the firewall
> (which are your true internet interfaces), and the ethernet interface
> is used only to carry the encapsulated PPPoE packets to the modem.

In germany such modems first was standard. These has 1 DSL-Port and a
normal ethernet port. So it is possible to link this to a ethernet port
at a PC. But there are also many routers that can act like a bridge.

rp-pppoe is the right software for this. There is a german website which
shows how it works: http://geggus.net/sven/t-dsl.html
You need the source of rp-pppoe 3.8 and this patch
http://geggus.net/sven/rp-pppoe-3.8-fakemac.diff
Than you can use a option "-H <macadress>" to start every connection
with another fake mac-adress.

> As far as I am aware, it's possible to use multiple modems on one
> interface in this manner, and it gives you the ability to discriminate
> between them on the firewall. But fair warning - I only believe this
> to be possible, I've never tried it. I use PPPoE in this fashion
> (because modems that terminate the PPP session must act as routers,
> and they are always lousy routers and truly abysmal NAT devices), but
> only with a single modem on each interface.

I use it till some months. My provider is the german T-Com.
The distribution is Debian Etch with the shorewall package.

Sebastian