Tom Eastep wrote:
> Nico Pagliaro wrote:
>> Hi, I need some help in this problem:
>> I am having this problem:
>>
>> I have my vpn client with openvpn and my shorewall fireall at work with
>> openvpn
>> server (in the same server)
>> Now, I need to route my vpn client traffic to this IP:74.53.205.xxx to
>> be routed
>> to my shorewall firewall because I accept connectios on that server only
>> from
>> my shorewall external Ip.
>> The problem is that when I configure my server.conf (openvpn) to push
>> "route 74.53.205.xxx 255.255.255.255 <http://255.255.255.255>" to the
>> client, I cant access that server.
>> What is wrong in my conf??
>
> It sounds to me like you are trying to push a route to the VPN server to go
> through the VPN connection -- that can never work! You are asking your
> system to route the encrypted VPN packets through the VPN itself.

Tom:

The openvpn tunnel, based on the masq entries, appears to be to
201.221.xx.xx or 200.40.xx.xx *on the firewall*, that is supported by
the tunnels file entry.

Based on the masq entries "eth1 10.8.0.0/24 201.221.xx.xx" it appears
that Nico wants to have the traffic from the vpn client to 74.53.205.xxx
appear to come from the fw/vpn-server's 201.221.xx.xx.
address, that would explain the push route in openvpn.

I think this is what Nico wants:

from the vpn-client to 74.53.205.xxx:
vpn-client (with host route) -> tunnel -> fw/vpn-server ->
masq to 201.221.xx.xx -> eth1gw -> 74.53.205.xxx

from 74.53.205.xxx to the vpn-client:
74.53.205.xxx -> eth1gw -> fw/vpn-server -> de-masq ->
tunnel -> vpn-client

Nico:

Could you clarify this for us please.

Jerry