Hello Tom,

thank you for your response and your patience :)

I have appended the output of the Shorewall dump.

I had to cut a chunk out of the middle of this file (most of the conntrack table) since it was originally 13.5MB

Deluge is running on a client (10.0.0.2) on the network which is connected to eth1.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Tom Eastep wrote:
peter wrote:
Ubuntu 7.10 server, 8.04 client.

I seem to have a problem opening ports. I know this since when I test the opened ports with Deluge it tells me that the ports are closed.

The router is a Linksys AG241 v2 with firmware 2.01.03. This has an IP of 192.168.1.1 and is connected to the server on eth0 with an IP of 192.168.1.64.

So the settings on the router are to port forward a range 40000-40010 and use the same range in Deluge, the bit torrent program. Both TCP and UDP are forwarded and the IP address of 192.168.1.64 is used.

Eth0 is managed by Shorewall (ver. 3.4.4)  which also manages eth1 which connects to the network. Eth1 uses the IP 10.0.0.1.

The settings in Shorewall are two entries

Action – Source – Destination – Protocol – Source Ports – Destination Ports
Accept - Zone net - Firewall – TCP - Any - 40000 - 40010
Accept – Zone net – Firewall – UDP – Any – 40000 - 40010

I have no idea what the above entries are trying to show. They are neither Shorewall rules nor are they 'iptables -L' output. So we have no way of knowing what your rules really are.

We prefer that problem reports concerning connection problems include the output of "shorewall dump"; see http://www.shorewall.net/support.htm#Guidelines.

In Deluge I have set the ports to use as 40000 – 40010. The performance is very poor and when the ports are tested 40000 is reported to be closed. I downloaded uTorrent and installed that under Wine and that has the same problems.

Where is Deluge/uTorrent running? On the Shorewall system or on a system connected to eth1?

Also I see that Shorewall is now in version 4.x.   Is there an easy way (like apt) to upgrade from 3.4.4?

Check the Shorewall download page (http://www.shorewall.net/download.htm) and look for 'Debian'. The Debian Shorewall maintainer has an Etch repository and the packages found there work fine on Ubuntu.

-Tom

------------------------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url="">