Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 18:21 -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
>> Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 15:27 +0100, Christian Vieser wrote:
>
>>> To put it in other words: Isn't the shorewall configuration sufficient
>>> to get a picture of allowed traffic?
>
>> I think he's looking for an independent third part.
>
> Maybe.  Honestly, I don't think so, though, given in his original post
> Christian asked for a
>
> So he would be happy with something visualizing his shorewall conf.
>

>> The cheap answer -- have someone run nmap against your firewall.
>
> That will only show a tiny window, even of a rather trivial network.

The output of 'shorewall dump' tells you everything you ever need to
know about your Shorewall configuration. Of course, you have to
understand IP networking, Linux Networking and Netfilter in order to
interpret the output.

But you don't have to know anything about Shorewall! So I think that
qualifies as "independent".