Christ Schlacta wrote:
> I'm aware of, but have never tried a technique called tarpitting that
> is supposed to be very useful in your situation.

tarpitting a DDOS attack against a legitimate website takes the site
offline.

The TARPIT target is available in xtables-addons and it is easy to
construct an action to invoke it:

Assuming shorewall-perl....

/etc/shorewall/actions:

Tarpit

/etc/shorewall/action.Tarpit

<empty file>

/etc/shorewall/Tarpit:

use Shorewall::Chains;

add_rule $chainref, "-p tcp -j TARPIT";

/etc/shorewall/rules

Tarpit  net     ...     tcp     80      -       ...

Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA     \ all of the passengers in his car