okay, so here's what I've been called upon to do:
I have two ISPs and two separate LANs (we have a two-family household)

lets call them lan1 and lan2, and isp1 and isp2.

I've been asked if I could configure a router such that..
all traffic from lan1 is sent through isp1 by default, and all traffic
from lan2 is sent through isp2.
additionally, each LAN may have services (http, sftp, ssh, etc.)
both lan1 and lan2 will be using site-local IP addresses (192.168 and 10).
lan1 and lan2 should be able to communicate with each other without
complaint.
if isp1 goes down, lan1 should be able to access the internet via isp2
only until isp1 returns, and vice versa.  (This should NOT apply to the
dedicated bit-torrent downloader, which should simply lose connection if
it's ISP goes down).  (also, this rule shouldn't force existing
connections from lan1 to drop from isp2 when isp1 returns, it should
allow them to finish whatever they're doing (ssh sessions, long
downloads, etc.)