On 05/02/2010 04:48 AM, Laurent CARON wrote:
> On 02/05/2010 11:44, Mac Smith wrote:
>> I agree there's no way IPTABLES could cause kernel panic
>
> It happened to me a while ago when I was playing with different iptables
> versions and different kernels.
>
> The userland was simply not compatible with the kernel.
>
> I however doubt of such problems with a distribution like suse, debian, ...

The kernel in OpenSuSE 10 also panicked with Shorewall; that was the
result of Shorewall loading an untested combination of kernel modules.
You can *try* to work around the problem by:

a) Setting LOAD_HELPERS_ONLY=Yes in shorewall.conf and
b) Reboot the box.

Regardless of the outcome, the problem should be reported to SuSE.

Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA     \ all of the passengers in his car