On 06/07/2010 04:38 AM, Raphael Bauduin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up traffic shaping with shorewall, and I have one question
> about the ceil values to set in tcclasses.
>
> The outgoing interface is defined like this in tcdevices:
> $IF_NET         4000kbit        4000kbit
>
> I've done some tests with http and https downloads to check that all
> is working fine, and encountered a problem when setting the ceil to
> "full":
> #tcclasses
> #https
> $IF_NET         7       1232kbit        full            7
> #http
> $IF_NET         8       512kbit         full            7
>
> The problem is that the first download started takes all the
> bandwidth, and the second one doesn't even start.
> I guess the first download takes all the bandwidth and the second
> download cannot be started.
>
> So I tried with a ceil of full*9/10, and that works fine except when
> other services also use bandwidth, and that the 90% of full of the
> first download + the bandwidth used by other services saturate the
> link: in these circumstances, the second download doesn't start either
> (or stalls after about 100K were downloaded).
>
> If my understanding of the situation is correct (link saturated), what
> is the advised solution to assign the maximum bandwidth without
> blocking new connections for another service?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Raph

I had a similar issue too. I found in tcdevices I had to specify the
80-90% of my upload bandwidth cap in there. Otherwise the root class of
tc would always appear to have extra bandwidth available to share to
other classes and it would saturate my connection. If you are trying to
shape incoming internet packets, you are going to have to limit the
incoming speed to 50-60% of your cap atleast.

Sam