On 8/1/10 7:24 AM, Tom Eastep wrote:
> On 8/1/10 5:15 AM, Jason Morgan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having problems getting load sharing working.  It works for a few
>> minutes, then gives up.
>>
>> I have dual PPPoA lines. ATM is terminated remotely using PPTP.  Hence as
>> far as linux is concerned it is simply originating
>> two ppp devices (ppp0 and ppp1), both with static local IP addresses, but
>> with remote gateways that might
>> change each time the link comes up.
>>
>> At first I thought perhaps it was load sharing DNS requests over the wrong
>> link.
>> Hence after the local DNS cache was old it would re-query but would try to
>> contact the DNS peer at
>> ISP1 over ISP2's ppp link, which I suspect boths ISPs would block.
>> I added configuration to prevent this but this did not help.
>>
>> The OS is Linux/Ubuntu 10.04 with a custom kernel with
>> CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH_CACHE=n as per the instructions.
>> Shorewall is version 4.4.6.
>>
>> The box has two ethernet devices, eth0 and eth1 with users on both with
>> local networks 192.168.4.0/24 and 192.168.7.0/24 respectively.
>>
>> A single link works fine if I remove the tcrules and providers files.

This turned out to have nothing to do with balanced routes. It was
rather solved by setting CLAMPMSS=Yes in shorewall.conf (common issue
with PPP links).

Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA     \ all of the passengers in his car