On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Simon Hobson <li...@thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> Lee Brown wrote:
>
> >I'm sorry Tom, but I don't understand how the leases assigned from
> >the DHCP server automatically add MAC's it has given an address out
> >to, nor remove MAC's for expired leases.
> >If I understand the example correctly, that is essentially accepting
> >traffic from a fixed list, maclist is a static filter, correct?
>
> Correct.
> What you are asking for isn't available natively in Shorewall - you
> would need some external glue to handle that.

Which is why I asked if there was a tool available...:)

> The ISC DHCP server has hooks so you can call external scripts for
> various events - though you'd need to add a buffering layer as
> interacting directly with Shorewall (especially if it involves a
> restart to load a modified config) may be too slow for anything but a
> very lightly loaded DHCP server.

Oh, I hadn't realized that, thank you.  Shorewall is only used to configure
iptables, I modify chains directly after that as my shorewall restart cycle
is rather slow (rules/zones need serious cleaning up.)
Once I identify the chain that implements the maclist, I can add/remove
rules from that to implement what I need.

Thanks Tom, Thanks Simon.  This gives me the direction I need.

Regards -- Lee