On 19/03/13 18:27, Donald S. Doyle wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Is it possible to split a port direction so it goes to one server or
> another?  For example, I want abc.com to be routed to server X and
> def.com to go to server Y.  Is it also possible to have e-mail
> addresses going to one server or another in the same concept so
> j...@abc.com <mailto:j...@abc.com> will to server E and j...@abc.com
> <mailto:j...@abc.com> goes to server F?  If any of this is possible,
> what is the name of the technology/technique?
>

> Thank you for your input/help.
>

> Have a great day,
>

> Donald S. Doyle
>
> President
> G.E.M. Computer Consulting, LLC
>
> 317.250.4448
>
> www.gemcc.com <http://www.gemcc.com>
>

> gem-logo <http://www.gemcc.com/>
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> The materials enclosed with this electronic transmission are private
> and confidential and are the properties of the sender.  The
> information contained in the material is privileged and is intended
> only for the use of the individual(s) or entity (ies) named above.  If
> you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized
> disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in
> reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please
> notify us by telephone.

For the HTTP side as Roberto said would work well, as would something
like squid reverse proxy for the mail the situation varies depending are
we talking Transport ie SMTP or Delivery ie IMAP/POP?

SMTP I would be inclined to set up one of the mail servers to act as
primary for it's domain then configure it as you would a backup MX for
the other, just configure it to accept and relay on mail for the second
domain to the other server that would be by far the simplest way of
doing it unless we are talking about dealing with such large volumes of
mail the first server simply couldn't cope with relaying in this
configuration but I suspect if the situation was anything like that
obtaining an additional IP address to avoid this situation entirely
wouldn't be an issue.

For IMAP/POP it's similar to the HTTP situation, it's been a while since
I've dealt with one but there are reverse proxy software systems that
are IMAP/POP aware they will take the initial connection and just as
with a HTTP reverse proxy decides what to do next based on the client
request IMAP/POP aware ones begin (Some even complete) the client login
process and then forward on the connection based on the @domain part of
the clients username.  I'm drawing a blank on a name of some software to
point you to at the moment so would suggest try googling for IMAP/POP
reverse proxy depending which protocol you need to work with though I do
recall most doing either.