On 5/6/13 4:31 PM, "Troy Telford" <ttelford.gro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2013-05-05 13:57:10 +0000, cac...@quantum-sci.com said:
>> Today I noticed to my horror that my firewall was ACCEPTing EVERYTHING.
>>  It was like this for a couple of weeks.  I found the reason was I'd
>> removed 'tor' from the services file and so Shorewall failed to start.
>> I've removed tor from the rules file now, and of course it works.
>>
>> But routestopped has only eth0, which is not connected. (wlan0 is)  The
>> policy file seems to have everything DENYed.
>>
>> So I don't understand how this could have happened?
>
>Startup behavior with Shorewall can be a bit tricky.
>
>If you happen to run xUbuntu, you need to know that Upstart can't
>guarantee that a 'shorewall stop' command is issued (and locks down the
>firewall to routestopped) before the network is brought up.
>
>None of that matters, as you have discovered, with an invalid Shorewall
>configuration.
>
>While I haven't tested this, it's likely that this also applies to
>running 'shorewall stop' to lock the firewall to the routestopped
>config.
>
>As I recall, Shorewall checks its configuration, and will not change
>*anything* without a valid config. This applies for both adding and
>removing of rules, policies, and so on.
>
>It appears likely you had an invalid config (as stated in your first
>paragraph), and had rebooted the machine.
>
>I'm willing to bet you didn't notice the message that shorewall didn't
>start - either because you weren't watching, or because a boot splash
>hid the message.
>
>It doesn't matter what your policy, rules, or anything else is
>configured.  As I recall, if your configuration isn't valid, shorewall
>won't apply any of it.
>
>The default boot state for the Linux kernel allows any network
>connection. It's likely it is also the state shorewall will leave you
>with if your configuration is not valid.
>
>'shorewall check' is very useful; ALWAYS run it after modifying your
>shorewall config.

Another thing here is to be sure to use 'shorewall show' (or 'iptables -L
-n -v') when looking at the Netfilter filter table configuration. You
can't tell what the state of the ruleset is by simply issuing 'Iptables
-L' -- it's output is almost useless and can make you believe that you are
wide open when you are not.

-Tom
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.