-----Original Message-----
From: cac...@quantum-sci.com [mailto:cac...@quantum-sci.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 8 May 2013 2:49 PM
To: Shorewall Users
Subject: Re: [Shorewall-users] Transparent Proxy

On Tuesday, May 07, 2013 06:58:50 PM Terry Gilsenan wrote:
> Firstly, Is the mail client socks aware? If it is not then that is the
> issue you need to fix. If it is, then tell it to use the socks proxy
> on port 9110
>
> Shorewall is an IPTables configurator, it is NOT a proxy. Shorewall isn't a
> magic bit of software that knows how to interface to a socks proxy.
>
> You need a socks aware email client.

Unfortunately it's KMail, which is not SOCKS-aware.  But KMail lets me put my
mail where I want and in a form that I want (mbox) and has several features
that I want.  I tried to like Thunderbird, Evolution, Sylpheed, Claws, etc, but
each is either too primitive or, lacks some vital feature.  I am not happy with
KMail, but it's the only one I've found that does the vitals.  Trust me, I wish
there were something better.  I keep looking.

When I use torsocks (or usewithtor or UWT) with KMail, KMail ignores the
redirect.  It simply still sends on 465.  How do I know?  Because I block 465
and get a firewall violation.  I IRCed the dev for torsocks and he says it was
developed a long time ago and doesn't work with many GUI applications.  He's
the one who suggested that I do this with iptables, and he knows his stuff,
Haters notwithstanding.

I use POP3s and sSMTP (995 & 465) for email.  I do not know what it takes to
put this through a SOCKS5 port.  The Tor SOCKS port I have allocated to email
is 127.0.0.1:9110.  I suppose this should be done like a tunnel, so that 465
and 995 accesses go through 9110 and come out the other end of the tunnel (at
the Exit Node) and proceed to the mail server as 465 and 995, if you take my
meaning.  The closest thing this sounds like to me is NAT, but I don't know
what the fact of a SOCKS port means in this respect, and no one else I've asked
does either.

I tried to explain this..: SSL and to some extent TLS will object to
transparent proxying.

The problem is that Kmail doesn't know how to do socks, and that is what you
need to fix, either by changing to an email client that CAN to socks or by
installing (writing?) a socks "shim".

You could certainly use IPTables to re-direct your connections to your local
socks proxy, but that doesn't fix the problem of your email client wanting to
speak POP3 or SMTP, when the socks proxy is wanting whatever connects to it to
speak SOCKS.

POP3 has specific commands, SMTP has specific commands, SOCKS has specific
commands, POP3 commands addressed to a SOCKS proxy mean nothing to the SOCKS
proxy, so a redirect at the transport later is worthless, you need the
application layer taken care of, and that is outside the scope of IPTables.

I simply don't think I can explain it any better than that, Sorry.

Regards,

Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book "Graph Databases" is the
definitive new guide to graph databases and their applications. This 200-page
book is written by three acclaimed leaders in the field. The early access
version is available now.

NOTE: URL removed for security purposes - contact terry.gilse...@interoil.com
for support.

===[Disclaimer]===
This electronic transmission, including any attachments, is confidential, may
contain privileged information and should be read or retained only by the
intended recipient. If you received this message in error, please delete it
from your system and notify the sender immediately. Any review, dissemination
or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is strictly prohibited.