Hi Tom, list members,

With Shorewall's REJECT rule handling, the firewall generates a RST for
TCP and an ICMP 3/1 destination host unreachable for the other
protocols. I think it is not possible to customise this behaviour.
Unless I overlooked something but I hope not, for the sake of this email. :)

Since the stack supports specifying type 3 rejection codes I am hoping
shorewall could support it too. In my case I'd like the firewall to
return code 15 "Communication administratively prohibited" or code 8
"Source host isolated" for when I'm in a BOFH mood.

One simple suggestion is to define a new PROHIBIT target with a static
alternative set in shorewall.conf.

I would have suggested it to be configurable on a per-rule basis but
remain unsure if that would require too much work for its purpose.

While searching if it would be, I fell into a discussion[1] on the
netfilter list. In it, people argued whether or not iptables should even
support tcp-rst at all. The discussion took place in year 2000 and
became quite passionate. It's a hoot!

Now as it turns out we're 13 years later which arguably makes that
discussion old. I'll leave the boring clichés aside and try to rattle
the cage instead: is there an accepted approach these days for how to
reject?

Probably not: the Internet is a much bigger place these days. Although
it does feel like the opposite, doesn't it?

While unintended it sounds cynical to say "thank you" here so let me try
"kind regards" instead.*

Kind regards,

Mark

[1] http://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter/2000-May/003862.html