On 10/1/2014 5:01 PM, jone...@teksavvy.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Thanks for your preceeding two replies - much appreciated !
>
> I have three questions regarding running an IPv6 configuration which
> could surely benefit from your experience, since they are not directly
> related to Shorewall, but happens when using the IPv6 portion.
>
> 1) When shorewall6 is run, the following is logged.  Since broadcast
> is not supported in Ipv6, logging this is a bit puzzling:
>
> Oct 1 13:04:39 deb kernel: [ 9570.619744] xt_addrtype: ipv6 does not
> support BROADCAST matching

This is harmless -- it is a result of Shorewall probing your system to
determine its capabilities.

> 2) Once shorewall6 has established a firewall (a very simple one to
> start with) there is no netfilter subdirectory in /proc/sys/net/ipv6.
> There is in ipv4/, with a few conntrack options.
>
> The following IPv6 modules are loaded:
>
>   nf_conntrack_ipv6      13124  11
>   nf_defrag_ipv6         12720  2 xt_TPROXY,nf_conntrack_ipv6

There is non on my system either.

> 3) When I use 'ip6tables -L' to verify, ip6tables lists a few things,
> then seems to wait for something before displaying more.  Why is that
> so ?

The -L command (with no options) is the worst ever created. If you
insist on using 'ip6tables -L' rather than 'shorewall6 show', then
please use 'ip6tables -L -nv'. The -n option prevents the program from
attempting to generate DNS names from addresses (which I'm betting is
why you are seeing a pause), and the -v option is necessary for
understanding what the ruleset is really doing.

Tom Eastep        \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline,         \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA     \ all of the passengers in his car