You would need a way to detect link status and enable/disable the link in
shorewall accordingly.

Manually you can just run:

shorewall disable eth1

and when the connection returns

shorewall enable eth1

A better solution would be use something like lsm (read here
http://shorewall.net/MultiISP.html#lsm <http://shorewall.net/MultiISP.html#lsm>
and then download http://lsm.foobar.fi/)

Regards,

Hesham Ahmed