On 12/17/2016 05:51 AM, John Depp wrote:
> Thank you very much for spending so much efforts to resolve my
> issue.
>
> As I've mentioned the simplest way to avoid the problem is to turn
> off ipcomp. The only drawback is the way the ipcomp could be
> turned on or off in strongswan - the single option compress =
> <yes|no> does the thing, so many ppl (me included) could just turn
> it on for good.
>
> As for cleaner solution, I'd suggest removing the "policy match
> dir in pol none" statement from eth0_in zone in net-fw rule - let
> all packets hit the rule and then we could apply rules from
> shorewall/rules for them - but of course I just don't see the
> whole picture and don't know why this statement was inserted for.

As I was documenting the problem, I realized that we both had a
Shorewall configuration issue. We both included only the peer's local
network in our /etc/shorewall/hosts definition of the vpn1 zone. When
ipcomp is used, we also need to have an entry with the peer gateway's
host address in it.

In my case:

#ZONE HOSTS OPTIONS
vpn1 eth0:172.21.1.0/24
vpn1 eth0:10.2.10.11

The OPTIONS column in vpn1's zone definition is empty.

You could also choose to simply include a single entry:

#ZONE HOSTS OPTIONS
vpn1 eth0:0.0.0.0/0

Then use entries in the rules to differentiate between different
remote networks.

I will make an update to the Shorewall IPSEC documentation to make
this clear.

- -Tom
- --
Tom Eastep \ When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather who
Shoreline, \ died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like
Washington, USA \ all of the passengers in his car