I've been slowly trying to get this fixed for a few years now... I'm
running Debian Sid, Shorewall6 5.0.15.6, and Squid 3.5.23. My ISP provides
native IPv6 (Comcast).

I had my system setup to use Squid + TPROXY using IPv6, and it was working
great. However, a couple of years ago, it simply stopped working, and I’ve
been trying to figure out why ever since. When I try to use
IPv6+TPROXY+Squid, most sites simply “hang” and never load. I’ve been
trying to research it myself, and I think I can say that it appears to be
an ICMP Path MTU issue.

I can reproduce the error with test-IPv6.com(They suggest a curl command
at http://test-ipv6.com/faq_pmtud.html') Non- TPROXY connections work fine,
whether connecting directly or if their http proxy is configured. However
it appears that when I use TPROXY, there are issues with Path MTU Detection
from the internet to my clients.

When I try the test URL from test-ipv6.com, and check the packet dump using
the following:

$ sudo tcpdump '(ip6 and icmp6 and ip6[40] = 2) or (ip6 and tcp port 80)'

I see messages along the lines of:

<timestamp> IP6 {remote addr} > {my IPv6 addr}: ICMP6, packet too big, MTU
1280, length 1240

“shorewall6 show | grep -i icmp” shows the expected allow for ICMP:

   0     0 ACCEPT     icmpv6    *      *       ::/0                 ::/0
             ipv6-icmptype 2 /* Needed ICMP types (RFC4890) */

It looks to me like the ICMPv6 packets should be getting handled passed
through correctly; however as the packet dumps show, that does not appear
to be the case.

Does anyone have an idea how I can figure out what is happening so I can
get it working again?