> Well, so far, all you have given us is a log message, one rule, and a
> "It works sometimes".
>
> Given that the rule you posted doesn't include a log level, but a log
> message is being produced, I am wondering if the fw->net policy is
> ACCEPT with a log level specified. If that is the case, then I can
> understand that you would be concerned that the rule is somehow not
> being effective.
>
> For these types of problems, the output of 'shorewall dump' collected as
> described at http://www.shorewall.net/support.htm#Guidelines is most
> helpful to us.
>
> Thanks,
> -Tom

Indeed, policy calls for logging.  I haven't been able to narrow it down
more as it is infrequent, so the best I can do is say about 'half the
time, REJECTs and DROPs are -not- logged'.  (It's not my intent to start
a bickering contest, and am not withholding anything)

I've always been able to solve the problem/blockage by adjusting
Shorewall rules, even without the blockage being logged.  But I wish it
would just log all REJECTs and DROPs.  And I don't understand why it's
suddenly logging these ACCEPTs...  I haven't asked it to.

Given the nature of this being hard to nail down, I don't have much hope
of solving it, but I've sent the dump to Tom anyway.