I'm working on setting up a firewall + openvpn on a linux/systemd machine.

I have these pieces to the puzzle.

        Physical Ethernet interfaces, INT & EXT
        Virtual TUN/TAP interface
        Shorewall 4/6
        OpenVPN

Systemd controls the start/stop of Shorewall & OpenVPN.

I'm confused at what's supposed to be controlling the up/down of the interfaces
-- the OS?  Shorewall?  OpenVPN?

Especially when OpenVPN or Shorewall gets restarted, what ORDER should all the
dependencies be in?

E.g., if I stop OpenVPN, should Shorewall be stopped before or after?  What
about the TUN interface? etc.

In the docs and online I found bits and pieces but so far no good, kitchen-sink
tutorial.

I'd appreciate any good outlines, recommendations, pointers to tutorials etc.

Dave