Hm, ok I just did the same and I'm unable to reproduce my own findings.
Enabling shorewall with systemctl enable shorewall is sufficient both
on stable 9.2 and sid.
allow-hotplug is used in /etc/network/interfaces and shorewall starts
just fine when booting up.

Thanks and sorry for wasting your time :)