On 12/01/2017 08:49 AM, Tom Eastep wrote:
> On 12/01/2017 07:31 AM, John McMonagle wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> I know the problem you are trying to solve, been there, done that.
>>> What I ended up doing was to install (on the router) a local resolver
>>> running a slave zone for a couple of our own domains - then as long as
>>> the DNS is set to start before the firewall, the DNS names I used
>>> would be available locally.
>>
>> Ok, I can use resolver on the router.
>> So shorewall will be able to get to resolver.
>> What if when it boots for some reason the dns name in a rule can not be
>> resolved.
>> Will shorewall still hang?
>> If I'm reading your next comment correctly It will hang :-(
>>

> It will never hang -- it simply won't start.
>
> There is a workaround, however. In shorewall.conf are two options:
>
> - DEFER_DNS_RESOLUTION. When set to No, DNS names are resolved at
>   compile time; when set to Yes, DNS Names are resolved at runtime.
>
> - AUTOMAKE. When set to Yes, 'start', 'restart' and 'reload' only
>   result in compilation if one of the files on the CONFIG_PATH has
>   changed since the the last compilation.
>
> So by setting AUTOMAKE=Yes, and DEFER_DNS_RESOLUTION=No, compilation
> will only take place at boot time if a change had been make to the
> config but no 'restart' or 'reload' had taken place. This is clearly
> spelled out in the shorewall.conf manpage. So with these settings,
> so long as a 'reload' or 'restart' takes place after the Shorewall
> configuration is changes, there should be no DNS-related problems at
> boot time.

I should add that when DNS changes such that the compiled Shorewall
script uses obsolete IP addresses, you must use the -c option to
'reload' or 'restart' to force recompilation.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand