I have a VM which is the LAN router, and another VM in the LAN which is the
ipsec gateway. (strongswan)

I'm not fully understanding the guide here;
http://www.shorewall.net/IPSEC-2.6.html

- Does this still apply to kernel 4.*?  There isn't a
[http://www.shorewall.net/IPSEC.html](http://www.shorewall.net/IPSEC-2.6.html)

- It doesn't say to set up DNAT on the router.  How does the router know where
the ipsec gateway is?

- On the laptop, tunnels should be set as:  ipsec net 206.162.148.9 vpn.  But
what is that IP?  The dynamic IP of the laptop, or the outside interface of the
remote router?

- If the latter, is there a way in the laptop's tunnels to, instead of an
explicit IP, do a DNS request, to get that remote IP?

- Wouldn't I need to set up DNAT in and SNAT out for ports 500 and 4500?

- How do I enable protocols 50 & 51?  Would that be on one or both ports?