On 12/24/2017 02:51 PM, Colony.three via Shorewall-users wrote:
> On 12/24/2017 12:59 PM, Tom Eastep wrote:
>>

>>     After a bit of a hassle with certs, I got it working.
>>
>>     a) I used the StrongSwan Simple CA
>>     (https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/SimpleCA) to
>>     generate my certs, with a subjectAltName. The subjectAltName of the
>>     local endpoint is gateway.shorewall.net
>>     <http://gateway.shorewall.net>. On the Android, that must be
>>     placed in the Server Identity setting (Advanced Settings). I
>>     imported by
>>     CA cert separately (shows up under 'Imported' on the Android).
>>
>>     b) Local Endpoint Configuration:
>>
>>     conn %default
>>     ikelifetime=60m
>>     keylife=20m
>>     rekeymargin=3m
>>     keyingtries=3
>>     keyexchange=ikev2
>>     authby=pubkey
>>
>>     conn ipv4
>>     left=70.90.191.121
>>     leftid=gateway.shorewall.net <http://leftid=gateway.shorewall.net>
>>
>>     leftsubnet=172.20.1.0/24,172.20.2.0/24,70.90.191.122/31,70.90.191.124/31
>>     leftcert=gatewayCert.der
>>     right=%any
>>     rightsourceip=172.20.3.0/24
>>     rightdns=172.20.1.253
>>     auto=add
>>
>>     c) Android configuration:
>>
>>     Server: 70.90.191.121
>>     VPN Type: IKEv2 Certificate
>>     User certificate: (CN=phone,O=Shorewall,C=US)
>>     Ca certificate: Imported CA cert
>>     Profile name: Shorewall IPv4
>>     Server Identity: gateway.shorewall.net <http://gateway.shorewall.net>
>>
>>     -Tom
>>

> I'll be darned, it can actually work.  Thank you Tom.
>
> I'm following the same track, and have now gone to the absurd lengths to
> manually gen certs.  It all distills down to these simple commands:
> # cd /etc/strongswan/ipsec.d
> # strongswan pki --gen --size 4096 > private/caKey.der
> Self-sign a CA certificate using the generated key:
> # strongswan pki --self --in private/caKey.der --dn "C=US, O=Quantum,
> CN=Quantum CA" --ca > certs/caCert.der
> CA is ready to issue end-entity certificates.
> For each peer, i.e. for all VPN clients and VPN gateways, generate an
> individual
> Gen private key, and issue a matching certificate using new CA:
> # strongswan pki --gen --size 4096 > private/quantumKey.der
> # strongswan pki --pub --in private/quantumKey.der | strongswan pki
> --issue --cacert certs/caCert.der --cakey private/caKey.der --san
> quantum-equities.com --dn "C=US, O=Quantum, CN=quantum-equities.com" >
> certs/quantumCert.der
>
> I'm now ready to try and set up the Android app.  I wasn't able to
> import a .pem cert, but maybe it'll let me import a .der cert.

I successfully imported both the .pem CA cert and the .p12 bundle. The
former ended up in User Certificates and the latter in Imported.

I was also able to get the builtin Android VPN to connect, but it
wouldn't pass traffic for some reason.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand