On 03/12/2018 12:06 PM, Max Addler (Dersbach) wrote:
> Am 12.03.2018 um 19:47 schrieb Tom Eastep:
>> On 03/11/2018 02:56 PM, Max Addler (Dersbach) wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> for a current project I would be happy to have INCLUDE be able to nest
>>> to more than 3 levels. The limit is imposed in Config.pm line 3480 and
>>> AFAIK in three other locations (the actual limit is "4").
>>>
>>> While it is easy to change these explicit numeric limits to a constant
>>> and e.g. set that to 10 in my locally installed copy, and it does not
>>> create any obvious problem, the question is of course if there are any
>>> side effects to be expected from such a change. Can anyone provide me
>>> with an opinion or maybe a reference information?
>>>
>> Hi Max,
>>
>> There should be no side effects to changing the literal '4' in those
>> cases. In 5.2.0, I have replaced those literals with a symbolic constant
>> so the limit can be modified with a single-line change.
>>
>> -Tom
>
> Hi Tom
>
> Thanks for your answer - good to know. That does help.
>
> "Symbolic constant" means I can change that in a single line of perl
> code - right?
>
> If I would attempt to create a patch for making that a shorewall.conf
> option, would you consider including such a change in the release?
>
> (If it's not a config option, or even if I create a working patch, but
> it's not going to be in the release, I need to keep patching after each
> shorewall package update. I will not have any system running without
> updates).

Yes -- as things now stand, patching would be required. The number 4 was
picked rather arbitrarily back when Shorewall was shell-based, and there
is no good reason to keep that particular limit. What limit does your
project require? The only reason that there is a limit at all is to
catch INCLUDE loops before they result in an out-of-memory trap.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand