I rarely reboot but when I do, I have Shorewall just create an empty ipset from
'init'.  These
h@ckorz are going to try again and simply get banned again.  I DROP anything in
the ipset
at the beginning of the 'rules' file.  This keeps things from getting logged
over and over.

I find using an ipset with fail2ban a simple approach.  It's easy to list, add
to, or delete entries.

Bill