On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:45 PM Matt Darfeuille <m...@shorewall.org> wrote:

> On 3/23/2020 11:40 AM, Vieri Di Paola wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I set up my Shorewall gateway with the following logic:
> >   - accept incoming connections for ports tcp 443, 80, and several others.
> >   - all other connection attempts to other ports are dropped and the
> > source IP address is included in an ipset blacklist so subsequent
> > connection attempts even to "legit" open ports are dropped for x
> > amount of time.
> >
> > In general, this works fine.
> >
> > However, once in a while I get what seem to be false positives.
> >
> > For instance a known user usually connects fine to port 443 with an
> > external IP address (1.2.3.4). Somehow, at some point Shorewall
> > reports the following line in the log:
> >
> > IN=ppp3 OUT= MAC= SRC=1.2.3.4 DST=4.3.2.1 LEN=72 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00
> > TTL=48 ID=46761 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=41152 DPT=58129 LEN=52 MARK=0x3
> >

> Looks like you are showing truncated udp log  when you are talking about
> tcp ports?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
I'm just pointing out that host with IP addr. 1.2.3.4 usually accesses
our "published" HTTPS/HTTP services. No issues there.
However, at times I can see that Shorewall reports traffic from that
host but on UDP 58129 in this specific case.
The user at that host says he/she does not use a program to connect to
our public IP addresses via UDP 58129. So I'm trying to find out why
this traffic was seen.

> > The user has no idea what this UDP connection is for, and I haven't
> > found any program using this port (58129 is supposed to be in the
> > dynamic range).
>
> What dinamic range and are you sure of this?

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) suggests the range
49152 to 65535 (215+214 to 216−1) for dynamic or private ports.
So, 58129 is in this range.

Vieri