Hello everyone,

I’m getting an annoying number of smtp connection attempts from a specific IP
address that has been going on for weeks now (several per minute).

I’m currently dropping these packets using a shorewall rule.

I’m thinking of setting up a tarpit to try to discourage the unwanted smtp
attempts.

Can someone point me to any appropriate documentation to do this?

I have seen the TARPIT sections in:

The man page for rules [1]
Tom’s Network config [2]

I also tried to search the mailing list archives at [3], but get an "Error
523”, Origin is unreachable.

To date, I have added the following line in my rules file:

"TARPIT                        net:<static IP>       dmz:$E_SMTP
     tcp             smtp"

When I run shorewall check, it gives me the following error:

"ERROR: TARPIT requires TARPIT Target in your kernel and iptables
/etc/shorewall/rules (line 40)”

My Shorewall version is 5.2.3.2

Debian Stable 10.6

Kind regards,