On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 at 05:31, Aero Maxx D <aero.max...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m new to this group and to shorewall also.  I’ve read the installation
> and configuration guides for two interfaces, but I’m not sure they match
> the setup I have at home.
>
> I currently have the following two pieces of DCE equipment, and would like
> a PC running shorewall between them.
>
> 1. Cable Modem/Integrated router from ISP.
> 2. Third party router I bought myself.
>
> That's the same as I have.

> I currently have the Cable Modem from my ISP in modem only modem, and a
> single link to the third party router.

I have inserted my Shorewall box in the link between the ISP modem and my
own router (so a two-interface configuration). I haven't changed the setup
on my ISP Modem.  My own router is configured as an extension (sorry I
can't remember the exact name of the configuration).

> The IP issued to the cable modem is dynamic so may change I’m unsure
> whether this has happened or not.

That shouldn't matter.  The ISP modem will have a static, inward facing IP
address which is the one Shorewall needs to know.

> So I’m wondering if I should use the ISP issued cable modem and router as
> intended, and have a single link from it to the shorewall PC and a single
> link to my third party firewall on a different 192 subnet.

That sounds right to me.  I have set up separate Wi-Fi networks on the two
routers.  I use the ISP router for my 'Internet of Things' and other
untrusted devices, and my own router for the devices I control.

> The two interface configuration guide uses 10 subnet and I’m not going to
> have that many devices connected in my house.

I don't think that's a problem.

HTH