From:   Justin Pryzby <pry...@telsasoft.com>
Date:   Sun, 29 Nov 2020 19:20:04 -0600
> ... variable called NET_IF but then referred to it without a dollar sign, ...

NET_IF appears in the 2nd column of the installed interfaces file and
in the 3rd column of the installed snat file.  These came from the
Debian package files.  I wouldn't have expected missing "$" there.

If NET_IF is prefixed with $, shorewall execution ends with this.

Compiling /etc/shorewall/zones...
Compiling /etc/shorewall/interfaces...
   ERROR: Undefined shell variable ($NET_IF) /etc/shorewall/interfaces (line 18)

If we're on the right track about NET_IF, shorewall should assign to
it the default route via the WiFi interface.  Shorewall would have to
respond autmatically when the interface is raised and again when the
interface is lowered.  This in /etc/network/interfaces?

iface wlxa0f3c10a28f7 inet dhcp
  post-up NET_IF = $IFACE
  pre-down NET_IF = ''

Advice from someone familiar with the intended operation of a WiFi
'net connection would really help.

Thanks,                          ... P.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca