> Unless 'physical' is set in the third column of the interfaces file,
> which is what we do in the provided samples (1).
> 1)
> https://gitlab.com/shorewall/code/-/raw/master/Shorewall/Samples/one-interface/interfaces

OK, thanks.  I've always relied on https://shorewall.org/ as the
primary explanation of shorewall.  Is shorewall.org being phased out
in favor of https://gitlab.com/shorewall/?  If so, I can revise the
Website link in the infobox at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorewall.

Incidentally, https://gitlab.com/shorewall/ has branches code,
contrib, debian, release, testing, tools and web.  No "documentation"
branch although documentation can be helpful.  =8~)

> It should be noted that you can not mix defining variable in the params
> file and using the same interface name when 'physical' is used:

OK, thanks.  Now I recognize the dichotomy.  A couple of questions for
understanding and future reference.

(1) Are the two methods of specifying the 'net interface (NET_IF in
params vs. physical= in interfaces) entirely equivalent?

(2) Are both methods intended to continue in the future? If one is
being phased out, I can stick to the other.  =8~)

> If that still does not work for you, ...

Works fine thanks.  My strategy is to first make one interface (to the
'net) work. Later will add an interface to connect a subnet with a
subordinate machine.

Here are two complaints against
https://shorewall.org/manpages/shorewall-interfaces.html
along with suggestions which can make it more understandable.

(1) "INTERFACE - interface[:port]
  Logical name of interface. ..."

=8~|

In reality there are three distinct cases.
(1.1) The interface is specified literally. For example
"wlxa0f3c10a28f7" is literal; not logical.

(1.2) The interface is specified symbolically as NET_IF which is
assigned a literal value by the physical= option.  For exammple
"physical=wlxa0f3c10a28f7" in the options column.

(1.3) The interface is specified symbolically as $NET_IF and NET_IF is
assigned a literal value in the params file. For example params can
have the line "NET_IF=wlxa0f3c10a28f7".

(2) "physical=name
  Added in Shorewall 4.4.4. When specified, the interface or port name
in the INTERFACE column is a logical name that refers to the name
given in this option. It is useful when you want to specify the same
wildcard port name on two or more bridges."

A logical name?   NET_IF is a symbolic name.  It is the name of a
variable storing the value assigned by "physical=".  The explanation
can be improved.

The sentence mentioning bridges is true but incomplete.  Use of the
"physical=" option is not only relevant to multiple bridges.  There is
no bridge here but "physical=wlxa0f3c10a28f7" can be used.

Regards,                        ... Peter E.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca