On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 15:46:03 +0100
Norman and Audrey Henderson <norm.aud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you both. First Tuomo, it's not really Net 0/8, I just removed
> the front digits to hide our real IP addresses, for security reasons.
> Matt, yes with optional on interface eth0 then shorewall starts but
> still gives a warning that interface eth0 is not usable.
>
> That does allow the important openvpn tunnels to start (even though
> they are running on top of eth0!) and it looks like the proper rules
> and routes for eth0 are being applied, because our Email is flowing
> again.
>
> However, why does SW think that eth0 is unusable? What could I check?

Check code in /var/lib/shorewall/firewall,
search for interface_is_usable.

You can also try to enable interface with:

/var/lib/shorewall/firewall enable eth0

Do you have /etc/shorewall/isusable script? That's what is used if you
have it. If you have that script you should check what's in
/var/lib/shorewall/eth0.status file...

--
Tuomo Soini <t...@foobar.fi>
Foobar Linux services